This article was posted by Joshua Corn
If drinking soda is one of your guilty (or not so guilty) pleasures, you should pause to think about what you’re really putting in your body each time you take a sip. Soft drinks — especially diet ones — are among the worst things you can put in your body. Drinking them will make you sick, fat and stupid. Let me explain why…
Soda has been around for a very long time, so you may ask why, if it’s really so bad for us, we aren’t all dead yet. The fact is, the bottles of soda we’re drinking today are vastly different from — and vastly larger than — sodas of the past. Did you know that the original Coca-Cola bottle held only 6.5 ounces? And that for most people, drinking one was a special treat enjoyed on an occasional basis? Compare that to the common 20-ounce size that tens of millions of Americans now consume on a daily basis.
Size aside, the sodas of yesteryear were a relatively simple concoction of carbonated water,sugar, natural flavoring agents and naturally occurring acids. Compare this to most of today’s sodas, which are awash in highly refined sweeteners, synthetic additives, GMOs and other toxins that were never meant to be inside a human body. The results of this have been devastating to our health. Anyone who wants to live a long, healthy and productive life should reconsider any soda drinking habit that involves more than occasional consumption. Ideally, you should avoid drinking soda entirely.
1. Formulated to make you fat: Firstly, soda has virtually no nutritional value whatsoever. Zip, zero zilch. If you’re trying to cut down on calories, eliminating soda is a no-brainer. There are just no benefits other than the taste – and there are lots of healthy, great tasting alternatives (as I explain below). Beyond the empty calories, research shows that the high fructose corn syrup found in soft drinks actually triggers a hunger hormone that causes you to consume more food than your body needs. Other research reveals disruptions to microflora in the intestines that could decrease nutrient absorption – meaning you need to eat more food to get the same nutrients. Lastly, if you think you’re doing yourself a favor by drinking diet soda, think again. You may have heard about the recent Purdue University study that linked diet sodas to the very same health problems caused by their sugary counterparts, including obesity, diabetes and heart disease. In fact, multiple studies show that that drinking diet soda actually makes you fatter! But you don’t need science to prove that. Look around at the people drinking diet soda and ask yourself whether the “diet” is working.
2. Genetically modified mayhem: In the old days, soda was sweetened with natural cane sugar. I’m not saying sugar is necessarily good for you, but the high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) used today in most sodas makes cane sugar seem like a health food by comparison. One of the biggest problems with HFCS is that, since it’s derived from corn, and since most corn in the U.S. is genetically modified, its likely chock full of GMOs. Now Big Agra, Big Food and the Federal Government will tell you that GMO foods will save the world and guarantee a bountiful food supply. But remember, most corn has been genetically modified for a sole purpose – so it can survive being sprayed with ungodly amounts of pesticides and herbicides that would kill most living things. It’s a certainty that toxic residues of these pesticides and herbicides end up in the products made from corn, including HFCS. Toxins aside, GMOs are essentially a foreign body (a new strand of DNA) that your body doesn’t recognize, and more and more studies are surfacing linking GMOs to major health risks.
4. Really tasty toxins: The world is awash in toxins, so if you can avoid drinking them you should. Oh where to start… Firstly, whether your soda comes in a plastic bottle or aluminum can, chances are the container is made or coated with BPA or a BPA derivative that is known to cause a variety of health problems. Secondly, most sodas are produced with low quality, unfiltered municipal tap water, which may contain undesirable levels of industrial runoff, pharmaceutical drug residues and other chemicals. Also, the HFCS used in most soda is highly processed and known to contain industrial chemical residues, including mercury. In fact, one study found mercury in over 50% of samples tested! Oh yeah, then there’s the fire retardant. Yep, many sodas contain an innocuous ingredient called “brominated vegetable oil,” which is widely used as a fire retardant in many industrial applications. At least you know your soda won’t catch fire.
5. Heart attacks, strokes and depression, oh my!: The health consequences of drinking soda are numerous, but some are less obvious than others. For example, most people correlate soda consumption with obesity. And most people know that obesity is associated with a plethora of health problems including diabetes, hypertension and premature death. But you don’t need to be obese to experience the negative effects of soda. One study links the consumption of non-diet soda to a 20% higher risk of developing coronary heart disease. Another study showed that just one sugary beverage per day may significantly increase the risk of heart attacks. So is diet soda the solution? Not so fast. Other research links diet soda consumption with a 61% increase in strokes and heart attacks. Also, the artificial sweeteners used in diet sodas are known neurotoxins that can cause behavioral and cognitive problems. Speaking of your mind, not feeling so happy these days? One study shows that those who consume sweetened drinks face a higher risk of depression. The risk was shown to be even higher for those who drink diet sodas.
The 5 Major Benefits of drinking alkaline water!
Detoxify your body to remove normal acidic waste products accumulated daily, plus remove toxins accumulated in your body from your environment, prescription drugs, unnatural foods and from the “normal” process of aging. Acid wastes collected in the body can lead to more serious health conditions. Drinking alkaline water daily can neutralize the acidity and wash acid waste products from cells and tissues.
Hydrate your body: this is basic to maintain or regain optimum health. During ionization your alkaline water filter forms your water into micro clusters that are more easily absorbed at the cellular levels thus “super hydrating” your body.
3. OXYGENATE / ANTIOXIDANTS
Alkaline water acts as an antioxidant, scavenging for and neutralizing harmful free radicals. Because alkaline water has the ability to give up electrons, it can effectively neutralize and block free-radical damage to the body. Ionized alkaline water seeks out free radicals and converts them into oxygen which your body can use for energy production and tissue oxygenation. Cancer and most other illnesses cannot survive in an oxygenated, alkaline environment.
4. ALKALIZE YOUR BODY’S pH
Alkaline water helps balance the body’s pH, which tends to be acidic because of our high acid food diet, stress and exposure to environmental toxins such as smog. Alkalize your body pH from acidic to alkaline pH, because cancer and many other illnesses cannot live in alkaline environments. Alkaline is the “normal” state of healthy persons.
5. ENHANCE YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM
Enhance your immune system to maximize your body’s ability to fight off disease and heal itself.
Healing, Health and Wellness Center of Shelby is proud to offer the finest Alkaline Ionized Water in the world today. Kangen Water® is the delicious, healthy water. “Kangen” means “return to origin” in Japanese.
Come by and receive your 2 free gallons of Kangen Water! ($1 fee for the jugs only) Location: 323 S. Washington Street Shelby, NC 28150 704-457-1001 Across from Don Gibson Theatre Time: Tuesday – Friday from 11am to 6pm Saturday from 11am to 2pm